In India there is always a demand for water for various purposes. That too being an agricultural country water is an inevitable resource which is a major need. It has become so necessary not only to build new dams but also rehabilitate the old dams too. Dams not only provide storage but also it meets the requirements like hydro electric power stations .
Biggest Dams in India have helped a lot in Indian Economy. One of the important Dams in Telangana region is the Jurala Dam Project .
Jurala Dam (also called as Priyadarshini Jurala Project):
This Dam is located around 10 Kms from Kuravpur, Mahabubnagar. And the Dam is constructed on the River Krishna. The major water resource of the dam is from Kuravpur Kshetra river which merges in the water of Jurala . The project has been completed in the year 1995. It has a full reservoir level of 1045 ft and has a full capacity of 11.94 TMC.
Near the Nandi malla village of Atmakur Mandal this project was constructed. Length of the project is around one kilometer and height is said to be around 27.80 meters.
Around the villages it said that for more than thousand acres the dam supplies water for various purposes (drinking and irrigational purposes) through the left and right canals.
Presently, Power is been generated through “Priyadarshini Jurala Hydro Electric Project” with the cooperation of Karnataka state. This is only Hydro Electric Project in the state, which supplies water through out the year.
Important Details of the Jurala Dam:
The project is located at about 60 Kms away from Mahabubnagar District Headquarters . And it lies between Atmakur and Gadwal. One of the intersting facts is River Krishna enters the state of Telangana is through Mahabubnagar district and there are many hydro electric projects going depending upon the river krishna but this is the first project among them.
The foundation was laid by the Mr. Tanguturi Anjaiah, and he named the project as Priyadarshini project.
Flow of tourist attraction is higher from Maharashtra and Karnataka. And mostly this place has lots of crowd during the weekends and holiday season.The region is under management of Major Irrigation Department of Government of Telangana.This place is also a major tourist attraction of Mahabubnagar district and Telangana State.
Nearby Tourist Attractions:
People who visit the dam also visit these places
– Deer Park is available at a distance of 1.5 Kms from the Project with about 100 deers
– Ramalayam Temple is located in the Project Colony
– Parthasaradhi Temple is located near to the Project.
– Korakoda Gattu Temple and Chintharevula Temple are very near to the Project .
How to Reach Jurala Dam:
– Train transport facility is available upto Gadwal which is around 20 Kms from the destination. From there there are many private transport facilities available for visitors
– While travelling from Hyderabad to Tirupathi , visitors can get down at Yerravalli X Road on NH-7 ,from there the destination is around 14 Kms( through Peddapadu ).
– Travelling distance from Mahabubnagar via Amarachintha Atmakur is about 70 km and the distance from Raichur via Dharoor & Mannapur to the destination is about 44 km.
– There are many private transport from Gadwal to the Jurala Dam destination.
– The nearest Airport located at Shamshabad (Hyderabad), which is about 140 km from the destination.
– Comfortable accomodation is available at Haritha Hotel, Near RTO Office, Gadwal which is 2 Kms from Jammulamma Temple (20 Kms from Jurala Dam). Contact # 9494421852
Useful Contact Number:
– Telangan Tourism Toll Free Number: 1800-425-46464