Kadam Dam – A Major Irrigation Project of Telangana
In Peddur village at the confluence of the River Kadam with the River Godavari, stands the Kadam Reservoir project. The project built in 1964, is a major project over the River Kadam.
Construction of the reservoir commenced in 1949. The reservoir was originally built to irrigate around 25000 hectares. However, currently, the dam is equipped to irrigate an ayacut of 68000 hectares. In its present form the Kadam dam is supplemented by the Sriram Sagar Project and the Saraswati canal in order to stabilize the localized anacut.
The beautiful park adjacent to the Kadam Dam area provides for a beautiful picnic spot. Tourists can enjoy a fun filled day with friends and family here. Moreover, the roaring waters of the River Kadam gushing out of the open flood gates do provide an awe-inspiring vista for the visiting tourists.
The dam stretches to a little less than a kilometer and provides beautifully paved roads for tourists to take a quite evening stroll or even a brisk morning walk. The sides have been sufficiently guarded with brick and mortar balustrades that help to secure the place as well as act as good seating arrangements. Tourists are often found posing before their cameras to carry home a beautiful reminder of their day out on the Kadam Dam.
– The Kadam Dam Park is a major attraction for tourists as it provides a fantastic venue for a family picnic.
Nearby by Tourist Attractions:
– Sriram Sagar Dam
– Kuntala Waterfalls
– Pochera Waterfalls
– Nirmal Toys
– Sarangapur Temple
– Jainath Temple
– Kalwa Narasimha Swamy Temple
– Basara Saraswati Temple
Timings: 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Where to stay:
– Adilabad provides some good accommodation options for tourists visiting the Kadam Dam. Some of the hotels and guest houses near the dam are Hotel Laxmi Residency, and Hotel Sri Dhana Laxmi. The Asra Lodge in Adilabad is also another good option.
– Alternatively one can stay at Nirmal Town and also at Nizamabad
How to reach:
The Kadam dam is easily accessible from all major cities through road and rail. Buses are available from Hyderabad to Nirmal which is located at a distance of 40 km from the Dam. Tourists can avail local transport form Nirmal to reach Kadam Dam.
Nearest Railway Station: The nearest railway station is at Adilabad.
Useful Contact Numbers:
– Adilabad Tourism Officer: 9440816087
– Kuntala Waterfalls Guide: Somanna – 9441078662
– Sri Krishna Residency, Hotel, (Opp: Nirmal Toys Showroom, Nirmal), Tel: 08734-244255, Mobile: 9705972103